10 February 2010

What next?

Little Cooties has been in existence for about 10 months now. As each week and month goes by, I am growing and evolving more and more. My stock levels are high, and have diversified to include much more than girls dresses.

Which leads me to ponder the direction that I would like to proceed the business in.
I have proven to myself that I can sew items that people want to buy, and I have enjoyed the markets where I meet great crafters and sell to lovely people.
But the markets are not going to bring me financial stability.
I need to start selling my products in another way.

I have tried selling on etsy and madeit, but have not been satisfied with the response.
I have been thinking a lot about approaching stores and putting stock on consignment, and require a few more hours legwork to make that happen.
Creating my own website was also considered, after talking to Mecino about her new website.
A conversation with Hunter Gatherer about stocking and making clothes for them had me questioning what my wholesale price would be. And conversations with girlfriends led me to  look at numerous websites including ebay and monkies undies to see whether the listing (and relisting) fees are going to be to my advantage.

incube8r also has been of interest as they rent out spaces in their shop, and I would go in and maintain my area. They don't have any rack space at the moment and they have a waiting list.


Then an email regarding an opening at the Olive Grove had me looking at a whole other way of selling and steering the business. They have a number of members in a co-operative situation where they all stock the shop, man it and pay rent. A safer way to run your own shop, and as Jay from Finki puts it, the shops is open 7 days a week, so much more exposure than a 5 hour market.

So there is lots to think about, and so much information out there, and not enough head space with the kiddles around, that the decision is harder than it might have been at another stage of my life.

I have applied for the opening at the Olive Grove, and hope to see where that will lead if successful, if not, well, theres a whole lot more thinking that I have to do....

But for today, the most important thing on my list, is getting the hot water system installed, and the gas back on before dinner...... Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

so creative!